As Productive Creatives, we already know the importance of fitness and its effect on our work. So why do we avoid it?
Excuses. There are myriads of them, but today we’re going to focus on one…
The “I’ll wait until…” Excuse
Like a surfer sitting atop glassy waters waiting for the Big One to come along, we wait and we wait for the right moment. But without the right conditions, that wave never comes.
But you’re not at the mercy of nature. You’re in control of your environment and it’s up to you to set your own waves into motion.
Waiting for the right time to exercise has detrimental effects on our plan and therefore our results.
It deflates our energies and lets the winds out of our sails. It distracts us and lets the door of opportunity open up on some other project we’d rather be working on. And that, in turn, closes the door to our drive to get it done. By putting it off and allowing other things to get in the way (like feeding the kids or doing their homework), the end of the day comes and we’ve failed to reach our goal. Failing to reach a goal, gives a blow to our oversensitive egos. (Yes, I know Leo Babauta doesn't set goals, but not setting them makes me nauseous...ok, so I'm Type A.) :)
So what can we do? We’re all busy people with careers, families, friends, projects, school and loads of other responsibilities that require our energies!!
Here’s what we can do to insure that we do get our Minutes in Motion logged:
- Get up half an hour before we have to and exercise first thing in the morning. Think about it, is that extra 30 minutes in bed going to give you a boost for the day? How will you feel when your workout is done and out of the way?
- If you absolutely cannot workout before the world starts moving, then get up and dress in your workout gear so that when you get the house cleared out, you’re ready to rock your Minutes in Motion.
- If THAT’s not an option, make your lunch hour (or half hour) your Motion Hour instead. Workout instead of chowing on greasy fast food. And guess what…there is ABSOLUTELY NO rule that says you MUST be wearing spandex and sweat gear in order to exercise. NONE.
- Workout whenever or wherever. Do NOT wait on a until you can take time to go and change, workout, then shower. (You can clean up without soaking your head and everything else.)
- Make your workout your priority. Put it on the list of business items that have to get done. That’s it. If you consider it part of your business plan, you’ll do it.
This is just a brief list of the things we can do to make sure, for the sake of our PCness, that we get in our exercise so we can log our Minutes in Motion.
Our productivity will reflect our efforts. Leave a comment and tell me what will help you Do It NOW to get your workout in today?
Thanks for stopping by and reading! I really appreciate it!
And you can get your PC Journal to log your Minutes in Motion (MiM) by subscribing to my Project Master Blog. Come hang out with me on Facebook , Twitter, and G+ so I can help you with challenges and more!
photo credit: steve-h via Flickr